This is the core package of introductory courses that most students start with; it provides a solid foundation for further advanced study in linguistics, and also is very helpful to people who simply want to live and work in another language community, whether as educators, researchers, community-development workers, or missionaries.
Students have a choice of two phonetics courses, one for spoken languages (Ling 450) and one for signed languages (Ling 455). The other three courses in Package A (Ling 452, 470, and 480) deal with spoken and signed languages in the same class. These courses do not require any background in linguistics.
- Ling 450: Articulatory Phonetics
- Ling 455: Phonetics of Signed Languages
- Ling 452: Syntax and Morphology
- Ling 470: Intro to Sociolinguistics and Language Development
- Ling 480: Learner-Directed Second Language Acquisition