Many students take courses at SIL-UND to prepare for field service as linguist/translators, literacy specialists, language surveyors, or signed language specialists. Others want training in intercultural community work or how to learn a language to prepare for a variety of other roles.


Every organization has its own expectations, so you should contact the organization you are interested in directly. We provide some information here about how SIL-UND training tracks relate to various SIL International job roles. But job role requirements change frequently, and for a complete and up-to-date list of training requirements for service with SIL in various specializations, you should see the separate page for general information about SIL schools in North America, and especially the training tracks listed there.

  • Linguist/translators
  • Language acquisition for general cross-cultural workers
  • Literacy specialists
  • Language surveyors
  • Signed language specialists
  • Intercultural community workers

If you have questions about how to customize your training for your particular situation, feel free to contact the SIL-UND Director.
back to academics